Structured Workplace Learning Program (SWL Program)
There's nothing like on-the-job experience when it comes to thinking about career choices.Our Structured Workplace Learning Program makes it possible for young people aged 15-19 to try out different jobs, meet local employers and gain beneficial work experience. They do this by facilitating and coordinating:
- Workplace learning placements in Structured Workplace Learning (SWL),
- School Based Apprenticeships and Traineeships.
We work with government and non-government secondary schools, TAFEs, Adult and Community Education providers, industry, local employers and Koorie community representatives to identify local skill and student learning needs and to generate workplace learning opportunities for young people.
The program aims to:
- Increase the numbers of young people undertaking workplace learning placements in places of employment, especially in industries that provide strong vocational outcomes for students;
- Increase the alignment between vocational education and training (VET) provision and local industry needs; and
- Increase the number of Koorie young people undertaking workplace learning placements.
- Structured Workplace Learning
VETiS and VCAL students need to complete a Structured Workplace Learning (SWL) component as part of their program. Students undertake on-the-job training where they are expected to master skills and competencies. A great opportunity for students to develop employability skills.
To download a Structured Workplace Learning Record Book Click Here
School Based Apprenticeships and Traineeships:
- Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) or the Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL) Students have the flexibility to combine part-time employment, school and training through School Based Apprenticeships and Traineeships. These programs involve:
- A training contract with an employer
- A training plan signed by the school and registered with Higher Education and Skills Group.
- Paid work under some form of industrial agreement.
For more information please contact:Education Engagement & Placement Coordinator team
03 5336 5020